Carol R. Eaton Designs

Carol R. Eaton Designs

FABRIC FOR SALE: click on pages below!

Monday, March 26, 2018

Fencing + Paint Roller + Dye + Fabric = Cool Textures!

My friend Barb Olson showed me how she uses a small foam roller to create patterns from wooden blocks and stencils. I have a lot of tools in my studio but no small rollers. I'm in the frame of mind that I should be using all the tools I have on hand rather than running out to buy more so I commandeered a standard size paint roller from hubby.  
I see many possible designs with this piece! 
I mixed up a batch of thickened dye and poured into a plastic paint tray liner. The roller soaked up the color and I was ready to go!  

The fabric was placed on fencing causing the interesting textured pattern.

I stopped rolling when I was satisfied with the coverage. 
The fabric always comes out a little lighter after washing but this photo reads even lighter than the fabric actually is. There are 2 greens coming through and it's a medium brightness! 

The final piece from the batch is Jade. Again, the photo reads lighter than it is. From my perspective the fabric is brighter than the photo and I'd consider it a medium to bright value. 
What is your favorite way to create a textured looking surface on fabric or paper! 

3 comments:

  1. Carol, I love these! And it's been so long since I did a lot of surface design, but I think your method would be my fave... picking up from something below the fabric. I have a couple of texturizing stamps, but haven't used them yet... might have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carol, I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!! It's been awhile since I've done anything creative, so thanks for the inspiration this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are terrific and are giving me ideas of other things to use for texture.

    ReplyDelete