Monday, August 3, 2015

Fabric Giveaway - Insects are the Theme this Month!

Fellow Printed Fabric Bee member Jane Davila chose insects as her theme this month. For those who know Jane the choice of insects is no surprise! For my piece I thought about how some insects view the world with eyes that break everything down into mini lenses! 

I started by coloring silk with Sharpie markers. Next I dropped rubbing alcohol onto the markers allowing the colors to spread and meander into each other. 
Once this phase was done I realized that it wouldn't be obvious to Jane that this an insects view of the world! So I pulled out one of my all time favorite stencils... the beloved dragonfly! 
OK... now I think it makes sense and fits the theme! Please hop over to Jane's blog or the Printed Fabric Bee blog and leave a comment. Jane will chose a winner for a 6" X 6" fabric pack of custom insect themed fabric... what could be better than that! Hurry, Jane will chose a winner on August 15th. Here is my giveaway piece!
Stay tuned for next month's Printed Fabric Bee giveaway, Deborah Boschert theme is Blueprints! 

Please visit the other Printed Fabric Bee members - they are ll exceptional artist! 

Monday, July 27, 2015

Faces in the Woods!

I designed this piece while thinking about the fragile balance between people and nature. Humans are challenged by the desire to create a living environment that suits us while being mindful of the natural world and the need to coexist. 
The faces represent each of us and our responsibility to watch over
the environment and protect it from misuse. 

The finished piece is long and narrow and I haven't quite figured out the appropriate hanging system. I'm also still mulling over a title. Most of the fabrics were deigned by members of The Printed Fabric Bee. I felted the individual faces and free motion quilted the face details. 

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Fabric Paint + Clothespins = Cool Texture!

As you can see I am totally enjoying my summer outdoor work space! I'm also enjoying the pace of summer and with that comes less frequent blog posts... but my artist creations continue and when I am forced back indoors I will have plenty of material for tutorials and techniques to share! 
This is the finished fabric paint + clothesline piece. Since my work space is embedded in a garden the colors used were in my line of vision! 
Prior to applying the fabric paint I twisted and clipped the fabric with a clothespin. Next I misted the fabric with water and then simply slopped paint across the surface! When it dried and the pins were removed I thought it was a little drab. I heat pressed the fabric and thought about how to make it more interesting.
I decided to take the fabric back outside. I applied more fabric paint... just a little here and there to make it pop. I find the texture created by the clothespins and the spontaneous colors a fun element. 
Have you experimented with creating a textures look with fabric? How often do you go back to a piece and add another technique?

Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Summer + Outdoor Workspace = Confetti Dyeing!

Ah... sweet summertime! The time when I can take my studio supplies outdoors to play around and make a big 'ole mess without a care. It's like the freedom of being a child! The biggest mess I make in the studio is when Confetti Dyeing so that was first up on my outdoor agenda. 
This is one of the finished pieces. After I dyed the fabric I painted the surface with a thin wash of sunset colors to enhance the effect. 

Usually I add all the colors of dye to the fabric surface before hanging to spray. This time I added one color one at a time. I wondered if the colors would be more distinctive using this method.
Here I have about 3 different colors; violet, cobalt and black. 
I sprinkle the dye onto the surface when it's laying on the ground. When I hang it up I spray with a solution of soda ash and water. This allows the colors to intermingle as they run down the fabric... ooo la la! 
This was the only piece out of the 4 that I painted. I'm thinking about leaving one as is and painting a wash on the others just to change the colors slightly... maybe a wash with some metallic bling in it just for fun? To be continued...

Sunday, July 5, 2015

Vintage Themed Custom Fabric Give-Away!

Here we go again! Are you ready for a chance to win a custom fabric pack? In June Lynn Krawczyk was the Printed Fabric Bee Queen and chose a vintage theme! Lynn will pull a winning name on July 11th so hop oer to her blog to leave a comment!

Here is my contribution to the custom fabric pack giveaway!  

I started by painting a piece of cotton. Next I printed with a piece of vintage lace that was given to me by my buddy Mary! Don't forget to leave a comment on Lynn's blog and you may be the lucky winner!

Stay tuned for July's giveaway - Jane Davila's theme is "insects"! 

Monday, June 29, 2015

New Ice Dyed Fabric!

My ice maker is on the fritz in a good way! It simply refuses to stop making ice - if I don't watch it carefully when I open the freezer door ice tumbles out. I'm not sure what the long term plan will be but for now I'm trying to keep up by ice dyeing! I posted detail photos to highlight the lovely patterns the ice makes as it pulls the dye into all the nooks and cranny's of the fabric. The full size photos are on the "Ice Dyed Fabric" tab at the top of this page... they are for sale if you are so inclined!